Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Great Gatsby; Not so great after all.

Hola guys, Im back with a movie review today, so I watched The Great Gatsby a few days ago and I had to give my verdict on that. Where do I start? Humph first of as hard as it might seem to believe but I havent read the book by F. Scott Fitzgerald, I know guilty as charged but in a way it is good since in my opinion the movies almost always never come close to anything what the book is about. So hopefully I will be able to give an unbiased review of the movie.




The movie is all about the glitz and glam during the 1920s in America after World War I, I love that era if I could go back in time I'd chose that era to be reborn in, the jewellery, the costumes, the over the top makeup, ah love it :P as far depicting this in the movie is concerned it was done well. But I hated the fact that the director tried to give it the computerized effects, why would you do that? keep the classic a classic, hated how it was pushed to be given a modern touch. The actors didnt really do much for me including Leo who I absolutely ADORE. he is probably one of the best actors of our generation but sadly even he fell short of the character. I really wish he hadnt played this role, it did not work for him. Carrey Mulligan plays the love interest of Gatsby whom, it is safe to say, I absolutely detested from the very start, ugh I dont get it what its about her, she has always annoyed me with her acting. Then there is Tobey Maguire again another disappointment, his voice in the background was utterly intolerable, plz stop talking plz. It was so bizarre because here is another actor who I really like but again turned out to be a disappointment. Joel Edgerton plays the role of Carrey Mulligan's husband, that God Damn accent of his, it was enough to drive anyone crazy. Amitabh Bachchan was easily forgettable, Isla Fisher was ok but that one person who really stood out for me was Jordan Baker, she was breathtaking and the performance was top notch. Also why try to give this movie an action scene? lol. There is this car racing scene which is laughable, I dont know if its in the book but it was extremely funny in the movie, it made zero sense. Lastly the songs, oh boy, I wanted to scream every time I heard Jay Z rapping in the background, ughhh. What an awful collection of songs to be played in the background for a movie like this. I love the songs as it is such as Lana Del Ray's Young and Beautiful, fergie's A little party never killed nobody and Bang bang but they did not go with the movie's theme.

Rating: 2/5

3 comments: